Friday, June 20, 2008

Days 5 and 6


Day 5 was my first “off” day in that I stayed in the same hotel room for two nights in a row. I did laundry, boxed up stuff to mail home, did some shopping and still managed to add two parks and two states to the list. You would think I could get a blog post in, but it wasn’t to be. I fell asleep before I was able to turn on the computer and this morning I wanted to get a very early start because I had what I perceived to be a difficult day in front of me.

I was on the bike at 5:30. I forget that the further north we go the earlier it gets light outside. When I wake up at home at 5:30 it is completely dark, but today it was fully daylight. After getting out of the Washington, DC area I passed through Baltimore, then Philadelphia with few problems. My thoughts were to get to the New York City area in the middle of the day when the traffic was not so bad. That time apparently does not exist. Additionally, I had the opportunity to participate in what must be the single biggest traffic engineering debacle ever created by man. About five miles before the George Washington Bridge traffic slowed to a virtual crawl. After thirty minutes of starting and stopping I reached the root of the problem. As opposed to a fifty car pile up or the collapse of the bridge itself, the whole mess was caused by the State of New York wishing to extract eight dollars or more from each and every driver for the privilege of sitting through this mess to begin with. The traffic went from four lanes to 15 or so lanes to go through the booths. The interesting part was after getting through the booths. The traffic then went back down into four lanes and the process was a complete free for all. Imagine riding a motorcycle into this frenzy and trying to compete with a hundred or so eighteen wheelers. While I did not have size in my favor during this process I did have stealth. To add insult to injury, right after getting through this ordeal and while negotiating a series of turns, exits and entrances, my GPS unit experienced the electronic equivalent of a “brain fart”. It thought it was in Harlem then in Manhattan then in La La Land. Finally it exited from its fugue just in time to get me back on the right path.

The rest of the day was uneventful and the weather, once again, was spectacular. It was actually cool enough that I added a layer for warmth.

Of course, when I went to the parks on day five I left my camera in my room but you can see that I now have a traveling companion.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Dick,

I looked on the map and see you are going to go through Pennsylavania. I would love to make that trip on a bike. Not sure if you will be in the mountains there but I love the trees and the mountainous part of the state.

Tiger should make a great companion, and he can tell Wrangler all about the trip when he gets home. You may find that Wrangler had better insight than you thought, but I always am assured by the fact there are stores everywhere when you travel, and there isn't much you can't get if you really need it.

I wonder how many people are living vicariously through you right now. Have a great time, more pictures please.

Sue G

Wrangler Goble, aka I run this Household said...

Tigger,

Wrangler here, you don't know me as of yet but I want you to know that I run the GOBLE household. That pillow may feel good on your head right now, but don’t get used to it, because you are not getting close to one around here. I don’t know if you have a tail (not disclosed in your photo), nor do I care, but if a miracle should happen and you make it back to Sarasota, Florida, you may be missing some body parts if you try to boss me around. One more thing, I was asked to go on the trip and I chose not to. I have things to do around here and would much rather stay in the AC and be pampered. I am not the type that motel hops and straps myself to a motorcycle. And, you will be sleeping outside with the other animals. I am sure you viewed my photo on this blog, after all, how could you not I am soooooooooooo cute. Hold on tight and take care of my daddy. I miss him so much.

Anonymous said...

Dick,

Reading about the traffic in NY brought back some nightmarish memories of NY. It may me remember that getting out of that traffic was one of the reasons I left NY 20 years ago. I promise not to complain about traffic in Lakewood Ranch & Sarasota(at least for a whole week)!

Michael