Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 17



My brother rode with me yesterday and spent the night with me before returning home today. So today it was just Tigger and me. Tigger told me he didn’t think he should accompany me on my friends and family outings in Brookville because he was afraid some folks might start wondering about me. I didn’t have the heart to tell him most of them already do.

Those people who know me well know that I seem to always have a song in my head. It seems that almost anything can trigger this phenomenon. So you know what happened when I rode over the Red River Valley. Then, without warning I found myself “just about a mile from Texarkana”. I think it must have been riding through Eastern Tennessee which, apparently, was the home of Loretta Lynn at some point in time. By the way, it is impossible to be in Louisiana and just about a mile from Texarkana. According to Google maps the closest you can come is 27.8 miles. But I guess that didn’t fit well in the song.

Speaking of Ms. Lynn, it seems she is quite popular in that particular area of eastern Tennessee and her name was associated with some unusual businesses. The Loretta Lynn museum made sense and the Loretta Lynn RV Park and Campground was a stretch, but OK. However, when I saw the Loretta Lynn Dude Ranch I concluded they went too far. I could even seeing naming a coal mine after her, but a dude ranch. No way dude!

Arkansas is the home of Bill Clinton. I rode through Hope, Arkansas, which was his birthplace, I went to Hot Springs National Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas which was his boyhood home and I drove through Little Rick where he rose to fame. (No pun intended) It always fascinates me how political leanings determine a persons view of history.

The tower overlooks Hot Springs but they wanted to charge Tigger double to walk to the top because they couldn’t find a fee schedule for such a creature. So, we settled for a couple of photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Valparaiso

Don't be bringin' that noisy contraption to my town. We live peaceful-like up here in Northwest Indiana.

John C. Updike
Brookville HS Class of 64 (or so it was documented)

Anonymous said...

John,

Don't ya'll put an "R" in Indiana up there. LOL

Did Goble graduate in '64?

C.P.A. (or so it is documented) I like that John.

It's nice to know he has friends else where and they ain't stuffed!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we spells it Indriana.

Ay, yo ... Dick ... don't run over them thar army dillers down-nair in Texsuss.

John U(R)pdike

(I don't think Goble grad-gey-ayted.)

Anonymous said...

Wait til one of THEM good old boys from TEXAS "don't like that" noisy contraption riding through their small town. Let's all hope you're not wearing your cycling outfit. OMG what if they see Tigger. I believe I would be exceeding that 80 MPH speed limit and getting out of that State. The United Republic of Texas and her 49 States. THEM Texans have a law of their own. They have the right to bear arms, shoot you and drag you in. All THEM so called clean restrooms you frequent, have you seen any of their following famous slogans?

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

Get off our land!

Texas: illegally acquired; Universally admired."

It really *is* a whole 'nother country!

Obama for Change? That's all you'll have left in your pockets!