Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 2

Today I rode from Valdosta, Georgia to Maggie Valley, North Carolina. I am spending the night with Jane and Bob Borne. They have been long time clients and friends. Bob built our first house in Florida. The weather was definitely cooler today and the rain consisted of a few very light showers. Total mileage was 430 including some very enjoyable riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I visited three more National Park Sites including Ocmulgee National Monument, Smokey Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately, the brand new camera that I purchased quit working so I was not able to take any photos.

As I was riding up I-75 from Valdosta, I did a very scientific study of how many signs per mile were visible. Scientific in that when I ran out of fingers and toes I actually had to rely on my memory which may render a "slightly" higher probability of error. There was one stretch that I counted at least 75 different signs in a single mile. Even more interesting was one particular double sign I observed. The top part was advertising sensual massage by a very seductive looking Asian lady and the bottom had only the words “Do Good Things” with a reference to bible scripture. I’m still trying to figure out the cosmic significance of both of these messages posted on the same billboard.

Several individuals have commented on the technology I am carrying with me. What red blooded, all American techno geek would not carry all of the latest gadgets to enhance his experience? Some people say that all of this “stuff” takes away from the true enjoyment. To those people I say read the owners manual because you obviously can’t figure how to use these wonderful marvels of our modern world. My list includes:

Two GPS units (you need a backup here)
One iPod
Two Sony Mini Disc Players (don’t really need a backup here, but I had two so why not)
One Dell laptop
One BlackBerry
One Cannon digital camera (non functioning)
One digital tire gauge
An assortment of chargers
One DC to AC converter in case I need to charge anything from the motorcycle
One very short multiple outlet plug so I can charge all of this stuff at once

I plan on visiting that most venerable of American institutions, Wal Mart, to buy another camera so I can visually share with you my journey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dick:

Sounds all is well except for the camera. Get another!

Tell Bob and Jane hello for me.

Enjoy, john michael

Anonymous said...

Dick,

Did you check the batteries on the new camera? It may have turned itself on from Georgia to North Carolina. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dick

Is there any way to view all the comments at once? This is fun and you are a pretty novelist.

Anonymous said...

that would be pretty good novelist. Sorry

Anonymous said...

Keep going! We love Maggie Valley. We're near Bar Harbour on our way to NS. Haven't read the users manual for my moto Q, but I sure couldn't read your blog, or comment back without it.

Be careful!

Scott