Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Adventure Begins




Today was the first official day of my ride. I visited Everglades National Park and Biscayne National Park. I don’t know for sure, but I think it may have been just me and the Florida Panthers in Everglades today. Obviously it is a park more visited in the winter. It is impossible to get out of Florida this time of year without running into rain and I encountered my share today. It was actually quite refreshing after riding in the sun with temperatures hovering near 100.

I pulled my first "bone head move" of the trip. I was going to be smart and bring my Sun Pass so I could ride the turnpike and not have to stop at every toll booth. When I went through the first booth I realized I had my automatic gate opener for work. I now have to contact the State of Florida, confess to my stupidity and beg for forgiveness.

I rode 508 miles today and only 18 of them were in Georgia. Florida is one long state. Since I have ridden most of the route many times before, all I did was “crunch miles” after my stops in Everglades and Biscayne. I know one thing for sure. My back side has a long way to go if I am ever to become an “Iron Butt” rider. I’m told it is like anything else. The longer you do it, the more accustom you become.

Tomorrow promises to be more interesting as I ride through the mountains of northern Georgia and North Carolina. Smokey Mountain National Park is on the route and I hope to stay with friends in North Carolina tomorrow night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dick,

All I can say is...at least you aren't trying to do this on your bicycle! I hope you have a great trip. Doesn't sitting in your desk chair help prepare your butt?

Beth

Anonymous said...

Dick,
Hope you stop in Cashiers, North Carolina. It is a beautiful place. Love to see ya, Colene

Stephanie KB said...

Dick:

I am so relieved you made it to your first destination safely. I was worried after looking at the radar, but extremely concerned that you would not calm down enough to navigate that apparatus you call a bike (bike maybe before you packed it) because of your excitement. I thought, perhaps, I would get one more full day’s work out of you (like you promised), hummmmmmm NO LUCK there! You were just like a little boy, so excited and eager to leave one day before scheduled. While leaving the office, did you think you were in a Parade as co-workers lined the hallway to wish well? BE CAREFUL.

PS: Four more things:

1. AS YOU RIDE DOWN THE HIGHWAYS/ROADS/TRAILS, REPEAT THIS: "Stephanie is my ASSISTANT, when she sends a text or emails me to call her ASAP, I am to call her at my first possible chance, NOT JUST AT MY CONVENIENCE!"

2. Do you realize you have more electronics on board then anything else? Let’s see, computer, camera, cell phone/Blackberry, 2 GPS units, iPod, micro player, helmet thingy, all of the connections, extra memory cards, extra batteries and probably a calculator. TELL US DICK, WHAT I HAVE MISSED! (GEEK...) How many pair of shoes did you pack?

3. Wednesday, June 18th is my birthday (not that you have been here the last 5 years for it). I know you didn't forget because I celebrate the whole month. It’s Tracy and Caroline’s too. I am also going to ask Jane if you remembered your anniversary. If you didn't, I sending her roses every week, nice roses, and charging them to your credit card. What's the name of that store on St. Armand's that she really likes? Never mind I remember.

4. Since I am a blonde, and being you left a day early, does that mean they are moving the event up one day in Brooksville for you, or are you sending me a new itinerary?

HAVE FUN, BE SAFE AND BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINDS.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Goble

I’m going to look forward everyday to the postings. My accountant’s office actually has a since of humor and all along I believed they were “geeks”, bean counters and never knew the meaning of “having fun” or lighten up”. How quickly we are all learning you work with a bunch of jokesters.
You probably won’t know the answer to the following, but I am sure I will find out from a posting, is the “DICK’S COUCH” resource calendar available to clients? Blogging was a great idea.

Be careful buddy as I want to hear about this trip in person.

Anonymous said...

Steph,

You forgot to list the butt massager {it’s an electronic} because you know he didn’t leave home without it.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Knowing Goble, he probably manufactured a retractable, 300’ antenna, with a lightening rod at the end to get reception when he is out in no man’s land. But I bet he still carries the old reliable handheld, battery operated weather radio. There’s 2 more electronics that need to be added to the list, of course with Goble’s confirmation.
Enjoy the ride and stop and smell the roses along the way. I agree with the above blogger GREAT IDEA GOBLE ON THE BLOGGING!
Jim

Anonymous said...

breaker, breaker, good buddy what's your 10-20? Do you have a CB radio with you?

Anonymous said...

I jumped on to see how far you made it today but you have not posted anything as of yet. I am getting a kick out of the postings and what you said about your SunPass. You should have Stephani take care of that before the State contacts you.

Also, to participate in guessing all of your electronics you are toting, I presume you also have a radar detector.

John