Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 3



Last night was spent at the home of friends Jane and Bob Borne. As always they were gracious hosts. I have probably mooched more free nights of lodging from them than any one else. Their problem is they have had homes in such great places like Vail, Colorado and Maggie Valley, North Carolina. Thanks again Jane and Bob.

Today was another great day of riding. After some interstate mileage I got back on the Blue Ridge Parkway for over 100 miles. I have observed that the Parkway in Virginia is significantly lower in altitude and the curves much more gradual. For a motorcyclist it is almost like therapy. In addition I added another park and another state to my list.

Another scientific study was conducted today. On a weekday in the summer there are 4.875 motorcycles to every car using the Blue Ridge. This study was conducted over a period of time which exactly coincided with the amount of time it took me to get bored with the study. I know you are asking yourself what .875 of a motorcycle looks like going down the road. All I can say is it is a sight to behold.

I did manage to purchase a new camera, but now I need to learn how to use it. That will be my project for later this evening. More pictures tomorrow, I promise.

As I was riding down I-77 I saw a couple pass me and each of them had a foot stuck out the window. This looked very uncomfortable to me. If by some cruel twist of fate I found myself in that position I think they would have to use the “jaws of life” to extract me.

I have decided that Wrangler, while knowledgeable in many areas, is not the best consultant for what I do and do not need on this trip. I am embarrassed to say that the stack of stuff I have on the back of the bike is higher than me. As soon as I take a shortened day or rest day I am going to pack a bunch of it in a box and send it home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dick, Sounds like you are having a great time. Today is the first time for me to see your ride. I will try and keep up with you each day. Be safe. See you in Brooksville June 27th. bill king

Anonymous said...

Bloggers,

Being we are having so much fun with Dick and sometimes at his expense, it is only fair we identify ourselves. So, let's put our first names, with the 1st letter of our last name followed by if you are a friend, client, co-worker, motorcycle junkie, family member or just a blogger. Thanks.

Blogger