Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 10




I awoke to a very loud clap of thunder and heavy rain. This is never the way I like to start my day, but I was prepared. When I looked, daylight was just seeping through the clouds and the rain was coming down in buckets so I put on my Gore Tex rain suit, Gore Tex gloves, Gore Tex lined boots and rode out into no rain. After all of that work the rain stopped minutes before I left the hotel and I didn’t run into rain until after I stopped to take all of the rain gear off. I guess Murphy was also a motorcyclist.

As a kids growing up in southern Indiana in the 1950s all of our sports heroes were baseball players. Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig were legends. I once spent my entire life savings, three dollars and fifty seven cents, to purchase a Ted Kluszewski baseball card that I carried and showed to all of my friends until it literally fell apart. We knew about Cooperstown before we ever knew there was a national park system or ever heard of Disneyland. As I was riding down I-81 I noticed a sign that said Cooperstown and I had to think a minute before I realized it was the same place we revered as kids and the home of the baseball hall of fame. Needless to say, I had to go. I was able to obtain a prime parking spot and I was able to fulfill a childhood dream. It may not be a national park, but it is a national shrine. I may have been the only person there without some article of clothing supporting my team.

Much of my ride today was through central Pennsylvania. The scenery was quite enjoyable with rolling, tree covered hills dotted by farms. Traffic was much less congested and the roads in good condition. One thing I have noticed is the amount of tolls collected by the northeastern states. I figure I have spent almost $100 in tolls. More annoying than the money is having to stop and pay these tolls while on a motorcycle. I pretty much have the system down, but it still takes me three times as long as someone in a car.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guy:

Just catching up. I am glad you got another camera. The Kodak store can not be far. I am glad you missing the rain and happy on your ride. Are you keeping a dairy outside of your comments?

John Michael

Anonymous said...

Dick,

I was catching up from day 5 and 6 on and saw where you finally stopped somewhere Stephanie could get excited...LL Bean and all those shoes! You sure are covering allot of ground, in PA already. The photos are great and you write well enought to write a book. Never knew you could communicate so well in writing, lots of humor and great vocabulary.

Enjoy PA for me, my home state, I even miss it sometimes in the summers.

Where does Tigger ride in the rain? Does he have his own rain gear?

Sue G

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were a fellow Hoosier! I grew up in northern Indiana in the 19??'s. It was good to get caught up on your travels -looks like Tigger is really enjoying the trip! Keep sending those pictures - they're great!

Anonymous said...

Dick,I am trying to keep up with you, but you are moving to fast. The family (Kace,Katrina,Phyllis and Me) would liked to take you and Jane out to dinner on Sat. Night, you can leave Tigger with your motor bike because you will be with Jane. Looks like a lot of comments from the ladies, hope that's ok with Jane. See you Friday in Brookville. bill k

Anonymous said...

Hello Dick,
Am enjoying your stories every day, and your observations.

Glad you are having such a great time.

Cheryl