Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Days 44, 45 and 46

On Saturday evening Tigger and I looked at the map, looked at the calendar and decided it was time to head home. We could get the necessary national parks passport cancellation stamps and still basically head straight home. I had promised Jane I would try to be home by the end of July and if we headed home Sunday morning we could make it. The ride Sunday was great. I felt like I could have ridden for ever and Tigger pretty much slept the whole day. After 680 miles we stopped in the middle of Nebraska for the night.

Monday was a different story. First, we lost a head light. Then, we ran into wind so bad we had to stop. This is the first time I have ever stopped for weather but the wind was gusting up to sixty mph and we were riding lateral to it so we were being blown all over the road. A constant wind, even a strong one, is tolerable because you can compensate for it. But strong gusts are like being hit in the side by an unpredictable force and can be quite scary.

Today we stopped at a BMW dealership in Kansas City and had the light repaired and the oil changed for the last time on the trip. We should be good for the duration. The temperatures were quite warm and the humidity is much higher here than out west.

Since I have been focusing on getting home I have taken few interesting pictures. I will try to post a couple tomorrow as I can barely keep my eyes open tonight.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carnegie Mellon Professor Randy Pausch The Last Lecture - HE'S A TIGGER! And, he also passed away last Friday. Very, very sadl

Anonymous said...

Oooooo at air's a purdy skerry buffalo, Dick.

So I guess you won't be coming to the Dunes. We don't need them loud motor sickles around here, nohow.

Ju

Anonymous said...

Dick, Im glad you're on your way back home, but I'm sad I'm not going to get to enjoy your updated blog and the photos! You really have taken some excellent photos. Be safe on the rest of your journey and I'll see you next week at the office....bright and early for our coffee club! :)

Anonymous said...

Almost heaven, Sarasota, Blue waters, Bradenton River. Life is old there, older than the palm trees, younger than the beaches, blowing like a breeze I-75 take us home to the place, we be-long Sarasota, Blue waters, Take us home, I-75, all my memories, gather round her Miners lady, stranger to blue water, sunny and cloudy, painted on the sky, the taste of saltwater, teardrops in our eyes, I-75, take us home to the place, we be-long, Sarasota, Blue waters take us home, I-75.

We hear her voice, in the mornin hours she calls to us. The radio reminds us of our home far a-way and ridin down the road we get a feeling that we should have been home yesterday, yesterday, I-75, take us home to the place, we be-long, Sarasota, Blue waters, take us home, I-75.

WELCOME BACK!

Anonymous said...

JOHN DENVER - COUNTRY ROADS - TAKE ME HOME. NOW, THAT WAS PRETTY CLEVER................ WHO DID THAT?

ARE YOU HOME GOBLE?

Anonymous said...

NO, I THINK HE'LL BE HOME TOMORROW.

Anonymous said...

I bet he stops in Hoosier land for corn and tomatoes. Glad you are finally got the travel bug out of your system or something got out of you system. Great photos and prose have a safe trip back - enjoyed keeping up with you.( on the computer)

Anonymous said...

Tigger and I are comin’ home, we’ve done our riding. Now we’ve got to know what has been done. If you read our Blog, you’d know we’d be riding free then you’ll know just what to do, if you still want us, if you still want us ………. Whoa, tie a Tigger round the ole palm tree. It’s been 48 long days, do you still want us? If I don’t see a Tigger round the ole palm tree, I’ll stay on the bike, forget about us, put the blame on me, if I don’t see a Tigger round the ole palm tree.

Bus driver, please look for us, cuz I couldn’t bear to have my butt on that bike seat anymore. Please set me free and tie a Tigger on the ole palm tree. Now the whole damned office is cheerin’ and I can’t believe I see A HUNDRED TIGGERS ROUND MY DESK.

(Music by Perry Como – Tie A Yellow Ribbon “Round The Ole Oak Tree)

Anonymous said...

W H A T ! A R E W E
S I N G I N G G O B L E
H O M E?

Very cute. Everybody send a Tigger something to Dick's office.

1990 Main Street, Suit 801
Sarasota, FL 34236

Anonymous said...

EVERYBODY AT DICK'S OFFICE READING THIS BLOG BRING SOMETHING TIGGER IN AND PUT IT IN HIS OFFICE.

LET'S TIGGER HIM OUT.

Tigger aka Little Dick Jr said...

Wrangler,

You there Dawg? Just wanted you to know that I am sooooooooo excited. I bet you are too. I am sure you will get all of our daddy's attention but that is okay. I have had him for so many days, 24 hour days, so I need a break. Sure hope I don't pee on myself before we get there because I am so excited.

Anonymous said...

Pretty sappy stuff, these songs.

Dead skunk in the middle of the road, stinkin' ta high heaven!

Yee haw.

Anonymous said...

Come back, its time. Be safe and enjoy at the same time.

Peace,

John Michael