Saturday, July 12, 2008

day 26




Today we woke up in Springdale, Utah, which is just outside Zion National Park. We were heading for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. This required us to drive back through Zion at daybreak. The light and shadows created by the morning sun make the scenery even more spectacular if that is possible.

As we left Zion and were heading south I could not help but think about the vast open spaces in the western part of our country. As I topped a slight rise I stopped and turned off the bike just to look around and it seemed like I could see forever in any direction. The only motion was the sage brush gently swaying in the breeze. The horizon was outlined by distant mountains and the road ran straight for miles until it simply disappeared. It was just a little eerie being here with no one (excluding Tigger of course) in sight and the only sounds were the breeze and my breathing.

About eighty miles before the entrance to Grand Canyon we entered alpine forests and the now familiar sensory experience. The approach was actually much more enjoyable for me than the canyon itself. I am a mountains guy. The Grand Canyon is a very very large hole. I know what you are thinking, but I feel like Chevy Chase in the movie vacation as he views the Grand Canyon; OK – that’s nice – now let’s go! An apology to all of you out there who are fans. My photos of the canyon didn’t turn out well because I was on the wrong side at the wrong time with the wrong light.

When we left the Grand Canyon we were headed for Las Vegas where we would spend the night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO offense, Dick, but you need to take a picture of the Grand Canyon from the air.

Here's how: Get a dozen or so really big balloons and fill them with helium, attach them to your Tigger and arm the guy with a camera.

I know it worked for me when I visited the strip mines in Warrick County.

John U (cheesh, what IS this word verification thing? Mrnch-something.

Anonymous said...

Dick,

I bet that “word verification” annoys a lot of bloggers. Half the time we can’t read it. Therefore, we say eliminate it. You say “it’s built in the program, I can’t”. I say “you can override it”. You say “tell me how” I say “OK”.

Go to your Blog like you are going to POST. Click on SETTINGS, SCROLL down to “Show Word Verification for Comments?”, Tick NO.

PS: You mean I have to put in the WORD VERIFICATION word to tell you how to remove word verification? I can't read the word verification to tell you how to take out the word verification option. You are going to have to remove word verification in order for me to send you the steps to remove word verification. Do you have to use word verification to Post? What the heck. How do you expect us computer illiterates to use word verification if we cannot even read, see or even understand word verification? Does the cell phone still exist or is it extinct already? The word verification “word” seems very appropriate for this comment!

I bet you can guess who I am.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dick,

Sorry I failed to introduce myself when I met you in Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park. My name is Thurley Heintz, I'm the guy that talked to you when you pulled into Grant Grove. It was fun talking with you, if ever so briefly. Thank you for your card and for sharing your ride experience with me. I have never done a ride longer than about 2k miles, but plan on doing one like yours someday. Two more years till retirement...

Your Blog is fun and I will follow you and Tigger the rest of the way up north, and back down the coast.

Next time I see you, please introduce me to Tigger. Sounds like he is enjoying the ride as much as you!

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down and enjoy your freedom!

Sincerely,
Thurley theintz2000@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Goble,

Since you mentioned Chevy Chase, as you were leaving the Canyon, were you whistling “ZIPPITY-DO-DAH”? LOL. Couldn’t resist.

You and Tigger keep the smoke of your eyes and be safe.

Anonymous said...

Tigger you can really take those curves. Did you push Goble in that big hole? We better start seeing some pictures of him or we will report you to the authorities.