Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 19



Today ended up being an easier day than I anticipated. I dreaded the ride because I thought it would be hot and boring. The temperatures never exceeded 88 degrees and there was a nice cloud cover to make it even more pleasant. The terrain was somewhat monotonous, but the speed limits in West Texas are 80 mph and there is virtually no one on the road including troopers. Needless to say I took advantage of the situation as the bike I ride was made by Germans for riding on the autobahn.

As I left Houston Cindi Lauper was proclaiming that “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” when I noticed a sign advertising the Buc Kee Beaver gas station, store and all around great place with very clean rest rooms. Five miles later with Bill Medley bemoaning “You’ve Lost That Lovin Feeling” I noticed another Buc Kee Beaver advertisement which again mentioned the rest rooms. Another five miles and Natalie Reins was telling me what needed to happen to that scum bag “Earl” and another sign. These signs went on for over 100 miles. Ten miles before the Buc Kee Beaver I saw a sign that said “Clean Rest Rooms – You Have to Pee to Believe” and I was hooked. Not only were the rest rooms cleaner than several of the hotel rooms I have stayed in, they had thirty three different types of Jerky. It is amazing what types of animals they turn into those nasty looking strips of dried meat. For those of you who are wondering, I did start singing the jingle advertising Ipana Toothpaste a few years back.

Tonight I had dinner at the local restaurant where the elite meet to eat, K Bob’s Steak House in Fort Stockton, Texas. I had fried cat fish filets, baked potato, fresh salad bar, hush puppies, Texas toast and banana pudding, all for $8.46. That included tax. And the food was very good. Just another advantage of small towns.

Tigger decided to send an email since Owl just got DSL service. His typing is just as slow as mine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sell their Jerky in the restrooms? Wow, Richard ... that is soooooo not Brookville.

John U.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dick, I think I ate at the same restaurant a few years ago on my drive back from Colorado with a stop at Carlsbad Caverns. I remember it was very good and cheap. The picture of Texas does bring back memories of Jan H muttering "There's nothing here, I mean nothing" on the ride through that part of Texas.

Anonymous said...

Dick,

Check out the stars. In the panhandle of West Texas (the Davis mountains) I saw the most stars of anywhere I have ever been. Not much ambient light and with a new moon - WOW. Maybe you will be lucky, check it out.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Dick--
Tigger is adorable. When you get back to work, be sure to bring him with you. I think he would qualify for EOM with his loyality, disposition and computer skills!

We are enjoying your blog. Drive safe!

Linda S from the office