Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 41



The word Montana evokes a certain image of mountains, wide open spaces, blue skies and a laid back way of life. (Or 20,000 screaming pre teens) The ride today was a confirmation of that image. The high peaks were on the horizon but the ride was still a motorcyclists dream. The horses seemed to almost be running free, the cattle were well fed and content and the streams were full of fly fisherman enjoying what could only be described as a perfect Montana day.

We did not make it to Yellowstone but we are close. There was “no room at the inn” as the West Yellowstone hotels were full for the evening. We did find a room in Big Sky at the ski resort. Ski areas are always somewhat deserted in the summer so it is possible to get a decent room for a good price.

Ted, my good friend and fellow motorcycle rider, is one of those individuals who does not lack in self confidence. He is always looking at a situation or product and saying “What were they thinking? I could have done that so much better.” About six years ago we were riding through Cody, Wyoming when we stopped at a western store. On the wall were some unique duffle bags so Ted asked the lady where she got them. She told him she made them and could make just about any thing any one wanted. So I told Ted this was his chance to put up or shut up. In five minutes he designed a bag for motorcycling. The bag was expensive and when he asked me if I was going to order one I told him I really didn’t need that expensive of a bag. After giving me an extremely hard time about being a cheap accountant he ordered one for himself and one for me. As it turns out, that bag is the best motorcycle bag I have ever seen. When preparing for this trip I ordered a new bag designed by a big company for motorcycle touring. Turns out I shipped that bag home yesterday along with a whole box of other stuff I have not used and kept the bag Ted gave me. The bag I kept is much more functional and well designed. Ted, I thank you and apologize for ever doubting you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do NOT go to Yellowstone. It has been opened for drilling.

JU

Unknown said...

Thanks Dick. In view of your sweet compliments I retract my TMI comment of yesterday. Took the same roads from Canada through Montana in 1958 with Rohan Kelley in his new '58 Ford Fairlane coupe generally at about 100mph. The horses were on open range then and I missed one by about two feet one evening. Take Care.

Anonymous said...

Ted,

Since Dick is not posting for a few days, I guess you will have to tell us the TMI comments to keep us entertained.

He'll never know.