Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 18

OK, so I am cheating a little. Today and tomorrow are days devoted to getting to Big Bend National Park in Texas so I decided to post two days together, one in advance. This is one big state and the western part is quite desolate. My challenge is to find a place to sleep after I leave Big Bend, but I won’t even get there until Thursday. Hence the post for two days since I will be very tired tomorrow when I get in and I will be leaving very early Thursday morning. They seem to do everything a little different down here. Even the back roads have a 70 mph speed limit and in a construction zone they really don’t slow you down much, they just make you dodge and swerve a lot.

I stopped today in Houston. I have over 5,000 miles on the trip and had to have the oil changed. I arrived at the hotel early and felt like I was being lazy. Then I realized I had still ridden over 330 miles. I guess getting on the bike by 5:30 AM makes a difference.

I didn’t take any photos today and don’t anticipate taking any tomorrow. Tigger is anxious to see another national park, but he told me that it is much hotter here than in the hundred acre wood. As always he wasn’t complaining and he said it with a smile.

1 comment:

Denny Fritz said...

Have bookmarked your blog, and can now follow your trip.

Our son, Douglas, used to go to a place in West Texas called Hueco Tanks to go rock climbing over Christmas. As I recall, that was northeast of El Paso. Don't think it is Big Bend National Park. When you get to Yosemite, I hope you have some time to spend on siteseeing.

Denny Fritz