Sunday, March 2, 2008

Am I crazy or what?


For several years now I have had in mind doing an "epic" motorcycle trip. Several thoughts came to mind. Each of the lower 48 states, each of the lower 48 capitals, the perimeter of the US etc, but I thought that going to all of the national parks, historic sites etc sounded like fun until I found out there are over 300 of them. That's when I decided to limit it just to the national parks. Then, I decided to post my ideas on a motorcycle touring board to which I subscribe and one of the members reminded me that the Iron Butt Association http://www.ironbutt.com/ has a ride similar to the one that I was planning that will allow you membership. All you have to do is visit 50 national parks and monuments in at least 25 states in one year. Well what insane mileage junkie wouldn't want the honor and privilege of being a member of the Iron Butt Association? I added a few more parks, another country and my plans were complete.

I plan on leaving Florida around the middle of June in time to be in Brookville, Indiana for their bicentennial celebration the last week of June. After that, while the route is somewhat set, my schedule is flexible. My plan is to post daily while I am on the road, but I know that will never happen, so my hope is to post once every two or three days. I hope to have pictures, some short video and narrative of my exploits.

Since it is now smack dab in the middle of tax season, I still have a while to go before the beginning of my "excellent adventure" but having something to look forward to always makes tax season a little more bearable.

I will post more as time permits and additonal plans take shape.
The above map was prepared before I decided to add the Iron Butt ride. There will be a few more destinations added when I redo the route.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck, and keep posting!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yes, I would say you are f...n crazy. I'm going to get a group together and we are going to buy some life insurance, disability insurance and long term care on your life and set it up as an investment pool/early retirement account. All kidding aside, sounds like a fun trip. I have 1 constructive idea for you. You should check out Dragon Dictate's Naturally Speaking software. Would be a very efficient way to enter info into the computer. You can dictate as you stop during the day and download the dictation at nite, rather than having to keep pulling your computer out. Also, why don't you get a helmet cam that you can remotely activate. Maybe I will get a bike and go with you. Mike Dorman

Anonymous said...

I think the Iron Butt designation has been mis-stated, it should be iron-head, or maybe sore-butt. Name aside, your excellent adventure sounds like great fun and quite a challenge. You have talked about doing something along these lines for quite awhile and I'm thrilled to see that you are making it happen. Go for it! BTW - I really like Mike's idea about the helmet cam. That would be cool!
Mark Ryburn

Anonymous said...

Dick, your first Blog fauxpas had me in stiches...

Best of luck. What a trip.

Ben Snead

Anonymous said...

A trip of a lifetime! Go, have fun, and be careful. We'll stay tuned to your blogs while you're gone and the rest of us are slaving away at work. :) Seriously, enjoy yourself. You only live once, so do this while you are still young and healthy; maybe not sane, but healthy. LOL.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

The March 5th blog is one big suck-up......will not get you a raise!
My only comment is "Where is Bill going to be"? We have been looking at new motorcycles......... I would love that trip - can't wait to join you.