Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tweaking the route


I have revised the route map to reflect the stops needed to do the Iron Butt. Upon reviewing the Iron Butt site I find that I qualify for the "National Parks Ride Silver" award. This is awarded to someone who is not only crazy enough to visit 25 states and 50 parks but also crazy enough to include Florida, Maine, California and Washington State in the destinations. The good news is Washington DC and the Canadian Provinces count as states. I wonder if you have to pass some kind of sanity test to cross the border into Canada?

I belong to a board where BMW riders discuss things like long distance touring and I have learned that a major theme with BMW riders is riding your motorcycle to your destination. One of the members had a sticker made up and pasted on his bike stating "If you see this bike on a trailer, it has been stolen". This pretty much sums up the prevailing attitude. The board has already given me numerous great ideas and cost me a substantial sum of money. Also, when I posted my intentions, I received numerous invitations to stop by for a cup of coffee. I'm thinking if this had been a Harley board, the invitation would have been for beer.

A little over five weeks and my 39th tax season will be under my belt...which is always a little tighter after three months of sitting behind a desk and eating everything I can get my hands on.

6 comments:

Mark Ryburn said...

Dick:

Those 39 years of sitting on your butt behind a desk should well prepare you for sitting on your butt through 25 states and 50 national parks. Have you already purchased that quick-release handlebar mount for your calculator?

Mark

Some1atKB said...

DICK:

RIDE ON AND WE'LL KEEP UP WITH YOU (VIA COMPUTER).

THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW, AS THE KB ELEVATOR DOOR CLOSED BEHIND YOU ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON, THIS NEW MYSTERIOUS “RESOURSE” CALENDAR APPEARED IN OUTLOOK CALLED “DICK’S COUCH”. THERE IS A CHARGE BY THE MINUTE, WITH A 15 MINUTE MINIMUM AND IT’S COMPLETELY BOOKED FOR THE NEXT 7 - 8 WEEKS. WHO KNEW YOUR TEAM COULD BE SUCH ENTREPRENEURS.

HOPING YOU MISS THE GEORGIA RAIN.

BillW said...

"I'm usually available in Memphis for help, overnighting, visiting, etc. BillW." KBG Elizabeth's dad.

BillW said...

"I'm usually available in Memphis for help, overnighting, visiting, etc. BillW." KBG Elizabeth's dad.

BillW said...

"I'm usually available in Memphis for help, overnighting, visiting, etc. BillW." KBG Elizabeth's dad.

BillW said...

"I'm usually available in Memphis for help, overnighting, visiting, etc. BillW." KBG Elizabeth's dad.